17 Feb 2019: Stake Division
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints organized a new stake in South Carolina today. Local members report that the Aiken South Carolina Stake was organized from a division of the Augusta Georgia Stake and the West Columbia South Carolina Stake. The new stake includes the following six wards and one branch: the North Aiken, Augusta, Coker Springs, Gilbert, Lake Murray, and Lexington Wards, and the Barnwell Branch. The Aiken South Carolina Stake is the Church's second new stake to be organized in South Carolina within the past year.
2021 New Stake Presidency
WEST COLUMBIA SOUTH CAROLINA STAKE: (Jan. 17, 2021) President — Dennis Levi Campbell, 52, Prisma Health executive director; succeeding Michael W. Shurtleff; wife, Kathleen Kirby Campbell. Counselors — Jason Gregertsen Ross, 44, SC Sports Source.Com, LLC owner and Innovative Design Concepts, LLC owner; wife, Rachael Marie Shurtleff Ross. Mitchell Bone Koyle, 42, Milliken Forestry Company, Inc. executive vice president; wife, Megan Suzanne Adams Koyle.
Lexington County Home Centered Church Opportunities
We teach that true religion begins in the home: "Home Centered / Church Supported". To that end families may consider the following local resources and programs to strengthen your core beliefs and values:
1. Come Follow Me: - Daily & Weekly family gospel study
2. Vanguard Scouting: - Featuring age-appropriate Family Activities, Service, Crafts, Field Trips, & Outdoor Adventures. The Benefits of Scouting are many, and there are lots of personal growth ideas to help your family pursue the new Churchwide Children & Youth Program.
3. LIFE School Curriculum: an LDS gospel based homeschool program that is built on the foundation of the scriptures, giving the child a sense of who he is and setting him on the path of discovering his divine mission. It is presented in a four year chronological rotation, integrating all areas of study to create a clear picture of the history of our world.
4. Family History: Resources to help you explore your family tree
5. Local Recreation:
- Lexington County, South Carolina Scouting - Outdoor Trails, camping, museums and other family attractions.
- Pioneer Treks -
The Columbia South Carolina Temple is the 62nd operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is the first temple built in South Carolina. The temple is located in a beautifully wooded neighborhood in southeastern Columbia, South Carolina's capital. The lovely residential area is scattered with well-kept homes and churches. Native loblolly pine and oak surround the temple, which is landscaped with crape myrtle, large holly, mums, and dogwood trees, reflecting the area's natural flora.
- United States List of Stakes of the Church
- Church of Jesus Christ in West Columbia - Facebook Missionaries