The groundbreaking ceremony for the Spokane Washington Temple was held on the same day as the groundbreaking ceremony for the Detroit Michigan Temple, marking the first time that groundbreaking ceremonies were held on the same day.
Brother Rush Hashid, a truck driver from Albuquerque, New Mexico, transported the statue of the angel Moroni, the oxen, and baptismal font to the temple site in April 1999. He had not been aware, however, of the nature of his cargo until he arrived. Temple historian Mark Bickley, records: "Brother Hashie was so overcome with emotion when he learned what his cargo was that he went to the grove of trees just east of the temple and cried."
In March 2009, nearly a decade after its dedication, the Spokane Washington Temple received a new angel Moroni statue atop its spire. Instead of facing east as the original statue did, this statue was positioned facing west—the same orientation as the temple.
On August 22, 2009, in commemoration of the 10th anniversary of the Spokane Washington Temple, members of the Spokane Washington East Stake ensured that every seat in every session was filled the entire day. This temple is located next door to their stake center.
The Spokane Washington Temple serves members from 15 stakes headquartered in Eastern Washington, Northern Idaho, and Northwestern Montana:
Stevens County, WA
Spokane County, WA
- Spokane Washington Stake
- Spokane Washington East Stake
- Spokane Washington Mount Spokane Stake
- Spokane Washington North Stake
- Spokane Washington Valley Stake
- Spokane Washington West Stake
- Coeur d'Alene Idaho Stake
- Hayden Lake Idaho Stake
- Lewiston Idaho Stake
- Moscow Idaho Stake
- Sandpoint Idaho Stake
- C. Patrick McFarlane 2019–
- Steven L. Bates 2016–2019
- Gary G. Ely 2013–2016
- Charles H. Recht 2010–2013
- Thomas H. Green 2007–2010
- Farrell N. Binns 2004–2007
- Frank E. Wagstaff 1999–2004
- LDS Church in Washington
- Idaho List of Stakes of the Church
- Washington List of Stakes of the Church
- United States List of Stakes of the Church
- United States List of Mormon Temples
- Mormon Temples List
Spokane Washington Temple
The Spokane Washington Temple is the 59th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is the second temple built by the church in the state of Washington. In March 2009, nearly a decade after its dedication, the Spokane Washington Temple received a new angel Moroni statue atop its spire. Instead of facing east as the original statue did, this statue was positioned facing west—the same orientation as the temple.