2021 Stake Division
The Church organized its first new stake in Finland since 1983. The Jyvaskyla Finland Stake was organized from three districts and two wards from neighboring stakes (Helsinki Finland Stake and Tampere Finland Stake) in southern Finland on May 16th. Of the five wards in the new stake, three were organized from branches in the former districts. Use of technology and steady or increasing numbers of active members in northern Finland appear primarily responsible for the creation of the new stake. Created by Elder Erich W. Kopischke, General Authority Seventy, and Elder Erik Bernskov, an Area Seventy.
JYVÄSKYLÄ FINLAND STAKE: (May 16, 2021) President — Samuel Heikki Juhana Kuosmanen, 40, Mekiwi Oy CEO; wife, Anu Katariina Airaksinen Kuosmanen. Counselors — Olli-Pekka Antero Kämäräinen, 40, University of Eastern Finland clinical teacher and Kuopio University Hospital neurosurgeon; wife, Minna Riita Ileana Seväkivi Kämäräinen. Kari Kalevi Welling, 59, Markkinointi Welling Oy entrepreneur; wife, Leena Kaarina Pyykkö Welling.
The Church in Finland has one of the highest member activity rates in the developed world (as high as 50% attending Church regularly, 66% of Church-reported membership self-affiliated on the census in 2015) which is attested by the Church operating three stakes in the country even though there are slightly less than 5,000 members on the records. However, the Church closed two branches as part of the new stake’s creation. Nevertheless, the Church in Finland has roughly maintained the same number of congregations in Finland (approximately 30) for decades, whereas the Church in most European nations has experienced a significant consolidation of wards and branches since 2000.
Finland Home Centered Church Opportunities
We teach that true religion begins in the home: "Home Centered / Church Supported". To that end families may consider the following local resources and programs to strengthen your core beliefs and values:
1. Come Follow Me: - Daily & Weekly family gospel study
2. Vanguard Scouting: - Featuring age-appropriate Family Activities, Service, Crafts, Field Trips, & Outdoor Adventures. The Benefits of Scouting are many, and there are lots of personal growth ideas to help your family pursue the new Churchwide Children & Youth Program.
3. LIFE School Curriculum: an LDS gospel based homeschool program that is built on the foundation of the scriptures, giving the child a sense of who he is and setting him on the path of discovering his divine mission. It is presented in a four year chronological rotation, integrating all areas of study to create a clear picture of the history of our world.
4. Family History: Resources to help you explore your family tree
5. Local Recreation:
- Finland Scouting - Outdoor Trails, camping, museums and other family attractions.
- Pioneer Treks
The Helsinki Finland Temple is the 124th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (LDS Church) and the 1st temple completed in Metropolitan Finland. Rising above the numerous trees on a rocky hillside along the highway to Turku stands the majestic Helsinki Finland Temple, located in the suburb of Espoo approximately 7 miles northwest of downtown Helsinki.