15 Sept 2019 : New Stake Division
On 15 Sept 2019, the Church organized its third stake in the city of Bo in Sierra Leone. The Bo Sierra Leone East Stake was created from the Bo Sierra Leone East District. Local members report that the new stake includes the following seven wards and three branches: the Barracks, Kendeyella, Lewabu, Messima, Sewa Road Wards, Sheriff Town, and Torkpoi Town Wards, and the Mendewa, New England, and Pujehun Branches.
No other city in the world, where no stakes previously operated, has ever had so many new stakes organized in so short of a period of time as Bo.* The Church in Bo organized its first three stakes within an approximately 22-month period. The percentage of members of the Church in the population is estimated at 3.5% given the number of congregations in the city before the Bo Sierra Leone East Stake was organized (20) multiplied by the average number of members per ward or branch in Sierra Leone as of year-end 2018 (308) and the city's population in 2015 of approximately 175,000.
Bo is also unique as it is likely the city with the highest percentage of Latter-day Saints in the population of any city with 100,000 or more people on the Afro-Eurasian landmass. Even more interesting, Sierra Leone is also the country with the highest percentage of members in the general population among continental African countries, and is the country in Africa with the smallest percentage of Christians in the population with at least one mission headquartered within the country. Lastly, Bo is also unique in that many, if not most, members speak Mende as their first language. In fact, eight of the 20 congregations in Bo are designated as Mende-speaking.
Sierra Leone Home Centered Church Opportunities
We teach that true religion begins in the home: "Home Centered / Church Supported". To that end families may consider the following local resources and programs to strengthen your core beliefs and values:
1. Come Follow Me: - Daily & Weekly family gospel study
2. Vanguard Scouting: - Featuring age-appropriate Family Activities, Service, Crafts, Field Trips, & Outdoor Adventures. The Benefits of Scouting are many, and there are lots of personal growth ideas to help your family pursue the new Churchwide Children & Youth Program.
3. LIFE School Curriculum: an LDS gospel based homeschool program that is built on the foundation of the scriptures, giving the child a sense of who he is and setting him on the path of discovering his divine mission. It is presented in a four year chronological rotation, integrating all areas of study to create a clear picture of the history of our world.
4. Family History: Resources to help you explore your family tree
5. Local Recreation:
- Sierra Leone Scouting - Outdoor Trails, camping, museums and other family attractions.
- Pioneer Treks
The Accra Ghana Temple is the 117th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and the 1st temple completed in Ghana, after second African temple after Johannesburg South Africa Temple (1985). The tradition of holding a youth cultural celebration before the dedication of a temple began with the dedication of the Accra Ghana Temple at the request of President Gordon B. Hinckley.